Since the release of the final regulations from the Bureau of Cannabis Control (“BCC”), the California cannabis industry has been waiting with bated breath for guidance on many issues, but perhaps none more than BCC §5032, which mandates that commercial cannabis must occur between licensees. One might think it would be obvious what commercial cannabis activity is and who can do it in the highly regulated California cannabis industry.Read More
California’s New Events-Based Tied House Exception and Why Everyone Is So Excited
The What: California expanded an alcohol supplier’s ability to advertise events taking place at retail locations starting this year. Under AB 2452, suppliers may post photos (strangely, no video) of the retail premises on social media in connection with the following types of events:
Winemaker’s dinners (B&P Code Section 25503.4)
Tastings on off-sale retail premises with a type 86 tasting license (B&P Code Section 25503.56), and
Tastings at on-sale retail premises (B&P Code Section 25503.57)
Previously, the law only allowed suppliers to mention the location of the event and basic details, but you couldn’t explicitly include pictures of the retail premises, so it made it difficult (or folks had to take the risk) to actually promote events on Instagram, Facebook and on websites. Now it’s explicitly permissible to advertise these events with photos, which is helpful, since every social media platform these days focuses on photos and video.Read More
Congratulations, California cannabis industry, after a year of operating licensed businesses, we finally have permanent regulations!! And they WENT INTO EFFECT IMMEDIATELY… as in last week. You read that right, there’s no grace period, no slow role, the rules went into effect as soon as the Bureau of Cannabis Control, the Department of Public Health and the Department of Food and Agriculture dropped their press releases. Here’s what you need to know TODAY to make sure that you’re not an enforcement target TOMORROW.Read More
SAN FRANCISCO, California, January 23, 2019: Hinman & Carmichael LLP is pleased to announce that Erin Kelleher has been promoted to Partner, and we have added two experienced attorneys to the team: Gillian Garrett and Tsion “Sunshine” Lencho.
Ms. Kelleher began her tenure with the firm in 2014.She is a seasoned corporate lawyer with a specialty in advising buyers and sellers on transactions involving alcohol beverage and cannabis licensees. Erin works extensively with outside counsel, providing regulatory advice in concert with clients’ corporate attorneys to inform business practices, relationships and potential transactions.Read More
CBD entrepreneurs finally spy dry land in their search for legally-compliant options for producing CBD
Everyone anxiously monitoring the Congressional debate around the 2018 Farm Bill can finally breathe easier as both houses have done what many feared impossible: reconciled differences to arrive at a Farm Bill, which, for the first time in 80 years will legalize the regulation, production, and interstate commerce of industrial hemp. (And if you’re reading this thinking, “wait, wasn’t hemp already legal?”Read More
- TTB Protocols, Procedures and Investigations
- Wine in a 250 ML can – the Mystery of the TTB packaging Regulations and Solving the Problem by Amending the Regulations
- The Passing of John Manfreda of the TTB: a Tragedy for his family and a Tragedy for the Industry he so Faithfully Served for so Long.
- Pride in a Job Well-done, or Blood Money? The Cost of Learning the Truth from the TTB about the Benefits to Investigators from Making Cases Against Industry Members
- How ADA Website Compliance Works – The Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself, Your Website and Your Social Media from Liability
- Supplier and Distributor Promotional “Banks,” Third Party Promotion Companies and Inconsistent TTB Enforcement, Oh My!
- “A Wrong Without a Remedy – Not in My America” – The TTB Death Penalty for Not Reporting Deaths
- Is a 1935 Alcohol Beverage Federal Trade Practice Law Stifling Innovation?
- Decoding the BCC’s Guidance on Commercial Cannabis Activity.
- Prop 65 - Escaping a "Notice of Violation"
- TTB Consignment Sales Investigations - What is Behind the Curtain of the TTB Press Releases?
- Heads Up! The ABC Is Stepping Up Enforcement Against Licensees Located Near Universities
- Coming Soon: New Mandatory Training Requirements for over One Million “Alcohol Servers” In California – September 1, 2021 will be here quickly
- 2019 Legislative Changes for California Alcohol Producers – a Blessing or a Curse?
- A Picture (On Instagram) Is Worth A Thousand Words
- Playing by the Rules: California Cannabis Final Regulations Takeaways
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP Names Erin Kelleher Partner and Welcomes Gillian Garrett and Tsion “Sunshine” Lencho to the Firm
- Congress Makes History and Changes the CBD Game for Good
- Pernicious Practices (stuff we see that will get folks in trouble!) Today’s Rant – Bill & Hold
- CBD: An Exciting New Fall Schedule… or Not?
- MISSISSIPPI RISING - A VICTORY FOR LEGAL RETAILER TO CONSUMER SALES, AND PASSAGE OF TITLE UNDER THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
- California ABC's Cannabis Advisory - Not Just for Stoners
- NEW CALIFORNIA WARNINGS FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND CANNABIS PRODUCTS TAKE EFFECT AUGUST 30, 2018, NOW INCLUDING ADDENDUM REGARDING 2014 CONSENT AGREEMENT PARTIES AND PARTICIPANTS
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators – The Alcohol Industry gathers in Hawaii to figure out how to enforce the US “Highly Archaic Regulatory Scheme.”
- Founder John Hinman Honored with the Raphael House Community Impact Award
- ROUTE TO MARKET AND MARKETING RESTRICTIONS - NAVIGATING REGULATORY SYSTEM CONSTRAINTS
- Alcohol and Cannabis Ventures: Top 5 Legal Considerations
- ATF and TTB: Is Another Divorce on the Horizon? What’s Going on with the Agency?
- STRIKE 3 - YOU REALLY ARE OUT! THE ABC'S STRICT APPLICATION OF PENALTIES FOR SALES TO MINORS
- TTB Temporarily Fixes Problem with Fulfillment Warehouse Tax Credits - an “Alternate Procedure” for Paying Taxes & Reporting
- CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE HAD ONE TOO MANY - THE FREE TRANSPORTATION DILEMMA
- The Renaissance of Federal Unfair Trade Practices - Current Issues and Strategies
- ‘Twas the week before New Year’s and the ABC is out in Force – Alerts for the Last Week of 2017, including the Limits on Free Rides
- Big Bottles, Caviar and a CA Wine Strong Silent Auction for the Holidays!
- The FDA and the Wine and Spirits Industry – Surprise inspections anyone?
- NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES: UPDATED REGULATORY AGENCY DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES AT A GLANCE
- NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES: REGULATORY AGENCY DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES AT A GLANCE
- Soon to come to your Local Supermarket– Instant Redeemable Coupons of the digital age!
- The License Piggyback Dilemma – If it Sounds Too Good to be True, it Probably is
- A timely message from our Florida colleagues on the tied house laws, the three-tier system and the need for reform
- ABC Declaratory Rulings – A Modest Proposal Whose Time has Come
- More on FDA Inspections - Breweries, Distilleries and Questions
- WHY THE FDA IS INSPECTING WINERIES
- Senate Bill 378—The Proposed Demise of Due Process for Alcohol Licensees
- ABC Enforcement - Trends and Predictions
- The Corruption Chronicles – Volume One: A New Hope
- New Alcohol Delivery Oversight on the Horizon
- Michigan: Canary in the DtC Coal Mine?
- California ABC and Federal Credit Laws – Active Enforcement and Lots of Questions!
- Big Bottles For The Holidays - The Highest Calling Of The Winemaker's Art
- FINAL COMMENTS TO TTB NOTICE 160 DUE ON WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 7TH – WE ARE ASKING THE TTB TO EXTEND THE COMMENT PERIOD AGAIN TO ALLOW FOR INDUSTRY NEGOTIATION AND ALIGNMENT OF INTERESTS
- SONOMA COUNTY WINERY USE PERMITS, EVENT RESTICTIONS AND DTC
- New TTB Labeling Requirement Regulations: Out-of-State Bottling Is Not Created Equal and Consumers Right to Know Where the Grapes in their Wine Come from is Compromised
- Isn't A Written Agreement With A Distributor Worthless In A Franchise State?
- Crowd Funding for Alcohol Producers and Retailers – Down the Rabbit Hole with the Tied House laws
- Everything you ever wanted to know about the BPA Warning Statement but were afraid to ask
- AB 2082 - A Hunting License for Police and a Lethal Weapon for Politicians that Deprives Licensees of Currently Available Due Process Rights
- “Better Late Than Never”-- Judge in Illinois Dismisses 201 Sales Tax Cases against Retailers
- The Day the Music Almost Died: The Story of the BottleRock ABC Accusations, the ABC Appeals Board and a Victory for a Common Sense Interpretation of the Tied House Laws
- The Arsenic in Wine Class Action Dismissal – what it means
- Counterfeit or Artisanal Mexican Spirits? Pick your Poison, or your lime wedge
- Warning - CA ABC enforcement teams are on the prowl this weekend!
- RELIEF AT LAST! ILLINOIS MOVES TO FIX THE SALES TAX LAWSUITS AGAINST OUT-OF-STATE SELLERS BUT PROPOSES TO PENALIZE WINERIES AND RETAILERS THAT SHIP WITHOUT PERMITS
- The TTB Speaks on Category Management or, be Careful What you Ask for Because you might Get it!
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP Announces the Addition of Jeremy Siegel to its team of top beverage law lawyers
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part IV
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part III
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part II
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part I
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP is Hiring!
- John Hinman Presents NBI Webinar on Basics of Alcohol Beverage Law
- ABC DISMISSES SAVE MART GRAPE ESCAPE ACCUSATION BUT REFUSES TO ADOPT JUDGE’S DECISION FINDING NO STRICT LIABILITY FOR ABC VIOLATIONS
- Speakeasies are still with us, and proliferating!
- The War for the Soul of Sonoma County – the Winery Working Group Battle
- Santa Claus isn’t the only one coming to town this Christmas!
- Arizona's Direct to Consumer Shipping Rules - An Exercise in Complexity
- AB 780 - Social Media and the ABC: The California Legislative “Fix” that Fails
- Illinois Finally Offers Certainty and Relief for Victims of Sales Tax Lawsuits, but Prompt Action is Required in Pending Cases
- A Modest Proposal – Adopt the federal rule on Tied-House liability in California
- The Grapes Escaped - Why the First Amendment Matters
- Appellate Court Ruling Strikes Blow Against State’s Arbitrary Beer Label Ban
- Illinois Attorney General's Office Announces Intention to Dismiss False Claims Act Against Liquor Retailers
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part III
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part II
- Craft Beverages: Social Media Marketing the Effective and Compliant Way
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part I
- A LAYPERSON LOOKS AT ARSENIC IN WINE
- The Biggest Retailer in the World vs. the TABC
- Rebecca Stamey-White presents Emerging Issues in Wine Law
- Top Beverage Alcohol Law Firm Adds and Elevates Partners
- Illinois Qui Tam Lawsuits—Private Enforcement Of a State Claim: A Bonanza For A Plaintiff’s Lawyer And A Rip-Off Of Retailers
- BOOZE RULES OF SOCIAL MEDIA: The Retailer Right to Pay Exception
- LIONS AND TIGERS AND TWEETS, OH MY!
- AB 2004: Brewer's Incremental Parity with Wine Makers
- Expanding, Proud Of It, and Wanting to Tell the World
- DC Weighs in Strongly on Third Party Marketer Delivery Services
- “Visual Links” between Beer, Wine and Spirits Labels and Retailers Ruled Unlawful in California — the tied house laws run amok
- Hard Cider Legislative Update
- New Marketing Model for New York – Lot 18 and the NYSLA
- Sweeping Changes in Proposed NYSLA Bill Include Expansion for Craft