Last Saturday night, in front of over 600 people at the black-tie Raphael House Annual Gala, John Hinman was honored with the Raphael House Community Impact Award.Read More
Wine Business Monthly explains, in an article written by John and published in the April 2018 edition, how to navigate the alcoholic beverage regulatory system. The article analyzes best practice route to market and marketing plans with an emphasis on advising new entrants to the business. The article is reprinted here for readers of Booze Rules.Read More
When we started our cannabis practice, we did not know where our clients would necessarily come from, but we knew we had to be a part of the end of prohibition, having missed the last one that shaped so much of our current alcohol practice. While we work with many independent cannabis cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers, much of our cannabis work also comes from our existing client base of winemakers and vineyard owners, brewers, distillers, restaurants, hotels, venues, private clubs, caterers, service providers, and investors, who want to diversify their investments. All eyes are on California cannabis; if it can be added onto existing alcohol and hospitality operations to serve the newly legalized consumer base, all the better.Read More
ATF and TTB: Is Another Divorce on the Horizon? What’s Going on with the Agency?
By Robert M. Tobiassen, Compliance Consultant and former Chief Counsel, TTB
Forward by John Hinman: We asked Rob why TTB was structured the way it was, what we can expect to happen as the 2019 budget is implemented and what kind of TTB enforcement policies will be in place going forward. He responded with the history and status of the agency, and his prognosis for the future, based on his long experience in Washington DC. This article is must reading for every professional in the alcoholic beverage industry who interfaces with the TTB.
Disruption is the descriptive word du jour used by every industry experiencing change and challenges in its global supply chain, manufacturing models, distribution channels, and attracting and retaining consumers. The Trump Administration is similarly disrupting Executive Branch agencies through its political appointees, program change mandates, and budget reallocations. TTB is not exempt from this disruption and the fiscal year 2019 proposed budget foreshadows a possible second divorce for ATF and TTB that could alter the culture of TTB. Industry members and other stakeholders learned lessons from the first agency divorce in 2003, specifically about how criminal law enforcement agencies function. It behooves everyone today to pay heed to these lessons of history as the proposed budget moves forward.Read More
The ABC’s Strict Application of Penalties for Sales to Minors
By John Edwards and John Hinman
The Modern History of the Use of Decoys to buy Alcohol
Hinman & Carmichael has been representing licensees charged by the ABC with sales to minor decoy violations for over 30 years. We have defended hundreds of cases during that period. We appealed one particularly egregious minor decoy case in 1992 on a constitutional defense. Our grounds for appeal were that the program was entrapment, there were no standards of conduct of the program that made it fair and there was no statutory exception allowing the program to exist. Because of our appeal, the entire state-wide decoy program was suspended for almost two years before the California Supreme Court ruled in 1994 that law enforcement could use minor decoys provided there were standards. We ultimately prevailed to the extent that the industry, in Rule 141 in 1996, established required standards of law enforcement conduct when running minor decoy programs.Read More
- RESPONSIBLE BEVERAGE SERVICE ACT HEARING – OCTOBER 11TH IN SACRAMENTO – BE THERE!
- WHEN THE INVESTIGATOR COMES CALLING – BEST PRACTICES.
- RESPONSIBLE BEVERAGE SERVICE ACT PROPOSED ABC RULES 160 TO 173 – WHY THE RUSH?
- The TTB Crusade Against Small Producers and the “Consignment Sale” Business Model
- TTB Protocols, Procedures, and Investigations
- Wine in a 250 ML can – the Mystery of the TTB packaging Regulations and Solving the Problem by Amending the Regulations
- The Passing of John Manfreda of the TTB: a Tragedy for his family and a Tragedy for the Industry he so Faithfully Served for so Long.
- Pride in a Job Well-done, or Blood Money? The Cost of Learning the Truth from the TTB about the Benefits to Investigators from Making Cases Against Industry Members
- How ADA Website Compliance Works – The Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself, Your Website and Your Social Media from Liability
- Supplier and Distributor Promotional “Banks,” Third Party Promotion Companies and Inconsistent TTB Enforcement, Oh My!
- “A Wrong Without a Remedy – Not in My America” – The TTB Death Penalty for Not Reporting Deaths
- Is a 1935 Alcohol Beverage Federal Trade Practice Law Stifling Innovation?
- Decoding the BCC’s Guidance on Commercial Cannabis Activity.
- Prop 65 - Escaping a "Notice of Violation"
- TTB Consignment Sales Investigations - What is Behind the Curtain of the TTB Press Releases?
- Heads Up! The ABC Is Stepping Up Enforcement Against Licensees Located Near Universities
- Coming Soon: New Mandatory Training Requirements for over One Million “Alcohol Servers” In California – September 1, 2021 will be here quickly
- 2019 Legislative Changes for California Alcohol Producers – a Blessing or a Curse?
- A Picture (On Instagram) Is Worth A Thousand Words
- Playing by the Rules: California Cannabis Final Regulations Takeaways
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP Names Erin Kelleher Partner and Welcomes Gillian Garrett and Tsion “Sunshine” Lencho to the Firm
- Congress Makes History and Changes the CBD Game for Good
- Pernicious Practices (stuff we see that will get folks in trouble!) Today’s Rant – Bill & Hold
- CBD: An Exciting New Fall Schedule… or Not?
- MISSISSIPPI RISING - A VICTORY FOR LEGAL RETAILER TO CONSUMER SALES, AND PASSAGE OF TITLE UNDER THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE
- California ABC's Cannabis Advisory - Not Just for Stoners
- NEW CALIFORNIA WARNINGS FOR ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AND CANNABIS PRODUCTS TAKE EFFECT AUGUST 30, 2018, NOW INCLUDING ADDENDUM REGARDING 2014 CONSENT AGREEMENT PARTIES AND PARTICIPANTS
- National Conference of State Liquor Administrators – The Alcohol Industry gathers in Hawaii to figure out how to enforce the US “Highly Archaic Regulatory Scheme.”
- Founder John Hinman Honored with the Raphael House Community Impact Award
- ROUTE TO MARKET AND MARKETING RESTRICTIONS - NAVIGATING REGULATORY SYSTEM CONSTRAINTS
- Alcohol and Cannabis Ventures: Top 5 Legal Considerations
- ATF and TTB: Is Another Divorce on the Horizon? What’s Going on with the Agency?
- STRIKE 3 - YOU REALLY ARE OUT! THE ABC'S STRICT APPLICATION OF PENALTIES FOR SALES TO MINORS
- TTB Temporarily Fixes Problem with Fulfillment Warehouse Tax Credits - an “Alternate Procedure” for Paying Taxes & Reporting
- CUSTOMERS WHO HAVE HAD ONE TOO MANY - THE FREE TRANSPORTATION DILEMMA
- The Renaissance of Federal Unfair Trade Practices - Current Issues and Strategies
- ‘Twas the week before New Year’s and the ABC is out in Force – Alerts for the Last Week of 2017, including the Limits on Free Rides
- Big Bottles, Caviar and a CA Wine Strong Silent Auction for the Holidays!
- The FDA and the Wine and Spirits Industry – Surprise inspections anyone?
- NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES: UPDATED REGULATORY AGENCY DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES AT A GLANCE
- NORTHERN CALIFORNIA WILDFIRES: REGULATORY AGENCY DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES AT A GLANCE
- Soon to come to your Local Supermarket– Instant Redeemable Coupons of the digital age!
- The License Piggyback Dilemma – If it Sounds Too Good to be True, it Probably is
- A timely message from our Florida colleagues on the tied house laws, the three-tier system and the need for reform
- ABC Declaratory Rulings – A Modest Proposal Whose Time has Come
- More on FDA Inspections - Breweries, Distilleries and Questions
- WHY THE FDA IS INSPECTING WINERIES
- Senate Bill 378—The Proposed Demise of Due Process for Alcohol Licensees
- ABC Enforcement - Trends and Predictions
- The Corruption Chronicles – Volume One: A New Hope
- New Alcohol Delivery Oversight on the Horizon
- Michigan: Canary in the DtC Coal Mine?
- California ABC and Federal Credit Laws – Active Enforcement and Lots of Questions!
- Big Bottles For The Holidays - The Highest Calling Of The Winemaker's Art
- FINAL COMMENTS TO TTB NOTICE 160 DUE ON WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 7TH – WE ARE ASKING THE TTB TO EXTEND THE COMMENT PERIOD AGAIN TO ALLOW FOR INDUSTRY NEGOTIATION AND ALIGNMENT OF INTERESTS
- SONOMA COUNTY WINERY USE PERMITS, EVENT RESTICTIONS AND DTC
- New TTB Labeling Requirement Regulations: Out-of-State Bottling Is Not Created Equal and Consumers Right to Know Where the Grapes in their Wine Come from is Compromised
- Isn't A Written Agreement With A Distributor Worthless In A Franchise State?
- Crowd Funding for Alcohol Producers and Retailers – Down the Rabbit Hole with the Tied House laws
- Everything you ever wanted to know about the BPA Warning Statement but were afraid to ask
- AB 2082 - A Hunting License for Police and a Lethal Weapon for Politicians that Deprives Licensees of Currently Available Due Process Rights
- “Better Late Than Never”-- Judge in Illinois Dismisses 201 Sales Tax Cases against Retailers
- The Day the Music Almost Died: The Story of the BottleRock ABC Accusations, the ABC Appeals Board and a Victory for a Common Sense Interpretation of the Tied House Laws
- The Arsenic in Wine Class Action Dismissal – what it means
- Counterfeit or Artisanal Mexican Spirits? Pick your Poison, or your lime wedge
- Warning - CA ABC enforcement teams are on the prowl this weekend!
- RELIEF AT LAST! ILLINOIS MOVES TO FIX THE SALES TAX LAWSUITS AGAINST OUT-OF-STATE SELLERS BUT PROPOSES TO PENALIZE WINERIES AND RETAILERS THAT SHIP WITHOUT PERMITS
- The TTB Speaks on Category Management or, be Careful What you Ask for Because you might Get it!
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP Announces the Addition of Jeremy Siegel to its team of top beverage law lawyers
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part IV
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part III
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part II
- 2016 LEGISLATIVE UPDATES: Part I
- Hinman & Carmichael LLP is Hiring!
- John Hinman Presents NBI Webinar on Basics of Alcohol Beverage Law
- ABC DISMISSES SAVE MART GRAPE ESCAPE ACCUSATION BUT REFUSES TO ADOPT JUDGE’S DECISION FINDING NO STRICT LIABILITY FOR ABC VIOLATIONS
- Speakeasies are still with us, and proliferating!
- The War for the Soul of Sonoma County – the Winery Working Group Battle
- Santa Claus isn’t the only one coming to town this Christmas!
- Arizona's Direct to Consumer Shipping Rules - An Exercise in Complexity
- AB 780 - Social Media and the ABC: The California Legislative “Fix” that Fails
- Illinois Finally Offers Certainty and Relief for Victims of Sales Tax Lawsuits, but Prompt Action is Required in Pending Cases
- A Modest Proposal – Adopt the federal rule on Tied-House liability in California
- The Grapes Escaped - Why the First Amendment Matters
- Appellate Court Ruling Strikes Blow Against State’s Arbitrary Beer Label Ban
- Illinois Attorney General's Office Announces Intention to Dismiss False Claims Act Against Liquor Retailers
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part III
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part II
- Craft Beverages: Social Media Marketing the Effective and Compliant Way
- Commercial Speech And Alcoholic Beverages - Part I
- A LAYPERSON LOOKS AT ARSENIC IN WINE
- The Biggest Retailer in the World vs. the TABC
- Rebecca Stamey-White presents Emerging Issues in Wine Law
- Top Beverage Alcohol Law Firm Adds and Elevates Partners
- Illinois Qui Tam Lawsuits—Private Enforcement Of a State Claim: A Bonanza For A Plaintiff’s Lawyer And A Rip-Off Of Retailers
- BOOZE RULES OF SOCIAL MEDIA: The Retailer Right to Pay Exception
- LIONS AND TIGERS AND TWEETS, OH MY!
- AB 2004: Brewer's Incremental Parity with Wine Makers
- Expanding, Proud Of It, and Wanting to Tell the World
- DC Weighs in Strongly on Third Party Marketer Delivery Services